Do I Need to Hire a Public Adjuster for My Insurance Claim?

If you're having trouble with your insurance company or if your personal or professional situation makes it difficult to manage the details of your claim, you may want to consider hiring a professional to help. In most parts of the United States, you can hire an authorized public adjuster at a “contingent” (percentage) fee who will process your claim and negotiate a settlement on your behalf. A public adjuster is an expert in claims assistance who works solely for the policyholder, not the insurer. When you file a claim, your homeowners insurance company will assign you a claims adjuster.

The public adjuster's job is to assess the damage to your property and determine a fair amount of payment based on the levels of coverage you have in your policy. They are especially adept at determining the full extent and value of property damage and losses due to business interruption. It's important to check references and agree on rates and terms before entering into a contract with a public adjuster. You can also verify if they are members of the National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters.

If you're in the process of filing a claim with your insurance company, it may be worth hiring a public adjuster. A public adjuster will act as a liaison so that you never have to talk to a representative or negotiate yourself. They will carefully review your claim and make sure that no damage is overlooked. Thanks to their experience and determination to find everything possible, they can help ensure that nothing is omitted in the claim or in the resolution of the claim.

If the public adjuster is questioning the damage or how much it might cost to repair it, you may decide to use a contractor for a second opinion.

Dewey Davern
Dewey Davern

Professional music buff. Friendly social media evangelist. Wannabe bacon fan. Friendly social media lover. Unapologetic beer specialist. Certified pop culture ninja.